I am thrilled to announce that the submission period for the 2023 Congressional Arts Competition for high school students who live in or attend school in Washington’s 7th Congressional District is now open. Each spring, the Congressional Institute sponsors a nationwide high school visual art competition to recognize and encourage artistic talent in the nation and in each congressional district.
The deadline to submit artwork is Friday, April 26th, 2024.
- Students must submit a completed Student Release Form (below).
- Students must submit a one-page description of the medium and the background of the piece.
- The art pieces are not required to be framed, only matted.
- All entries must comply with the competition guidelines (below).
- All entries must be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws. Any entry that has been copied from an existing photo or image (including a painting, graphic, or advertisement) that was created by someone other than the student is a violation of the competition rules and will not be accepted.
- Work entered must be in the original medium (that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing).
- Artwork can be mailed to my district office located at 2033 6th Ave, Suite 1011 Seattle, WA 98121. If you cannot mail the artwork and prefer to drop off it off at my district office, please contact (206) 674-0040 to schedule a time as my staff are working remotely due to COVID-19.
- Winning entries from each congressional district are hung in the Cannon Tunnel of the U.S. Capitol for 11 months.
- The winner also qualifies for a $3,000 per year scholarship at the Savannah College of Arts and Design.
Links and Resources:
If you have further questions or concerns, please reach out to my district office in Seattle at 206-674-0040.