WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, Vice Ranking Member of the House Budget Committee, issued the following statement in response to President Trump’s executive order rolling back Obama era regulations aimed at reversing the effects of climate change:
“This executive order represents more political posturing from a president unwilling to recognize scientific facts. It rolls back progress we made under President Obama, puts the climate and public health at risk, all while bailing out the president’s friends in the coal industry.
“Donald Trump has taken his climate change denying rhetoric straight from the campaign trail to the White House, and is looking to do real damage to our efforts to combat global warming and protect our planet.
“The good news is that some of these safeguards are on strong legal footing, and the president cannot easily revoke them with without a court challenge.
“The science is clear on climate change. The World Meteorological Association has warned us that 2016 was the hottest year in recorded history. It is our moral responsibility to protect our environment for future generations and to justly transition our economy from fossil fuels to clean energy, providing sustainable jobs to our communities. This executive order is a huge step in the wrong direction.
“We’ve fought back against this president’s backward and destructive policies before. We will bring the same commitment and organizing strength to protecting our environment, and I will continue to fight him every step of the way.”
President Trump’s anti-environment executive order:
- Dismantles Obama’s Clean Power Plan, which limited carbon pollution from power plants
- Alter limits on methane emissions from the oil and gas industry
- Halts efforts to prepare for extreme weather events
- Lifts a moratorium on the leasing of federal land for coal mining
- Removes a rule to account for the social costs of carbon
- Revokes an order calling on agencies to consider climate change in environmental impacts