Staff Assistant / Legislative Correspondent
The Office of U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal (WA-07), Chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, seeks a highly organized, passionate, and team-oriented Staff Assistant/Legislative Correspondent for the Representative’s Washington, D.C. office.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Executing a robust correspondence program to quickly address constituent requests, concerns, and questions across a range of issues;
- Driving Rep. Jayapal to and from events during regular office hours and after hours and, when needed, staffing her at offsite events;
- Managing Rep. Jayapal’s front office, welcoming visitors and groups (post pandemic), setting up tours and other constituent services in DC, and supporting the Chief of Staff with personnel, technology, subscriptions and log-in lists, and financial management duties;
- Managing the Washington, D.C. internship and fellowship program;
- Working across the legislative, district, and communications teams to provide administrative support; and
- Other special projects as required.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Passionate about public service and committed to progressive values;
- Willing and able to work long and often irregular hours, including weekends;
- An expert with spreadsheets, numbers, and forms, with strong attention to detail;
- A strong writer who enjoys breaking down policy for everyday people;
- A licensed driver with a clean driving record and a four-door car in good condition;
- Poised, no-drama, flexible, collaborative, and level-headed; and
- Eager to learn, grow, and thrive in a dynamic and high-paced environment.
Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, new Americans, people with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. Washington state and/or district ties are a plus.
Qualified candidates should include in their application: resume, cover letter, and references. Please send applications to email@example.com with “Staff Assistant” in the subject line. No calls or drop-ins please.