Job Description – District Staff Assistant
The Office of U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal (WA-07) seeks a Staff Assistant in her Seattle, WA office. The Staff Assistant runs the front office of the Congresswoman’s District Office and supports the Congresswoman’s constituent services and outreach teams.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent organizational, proofreading, and time management skills necessary to work in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment;
- A professional and courteous manner, particularly in telephone and in-person conversations with constituents;
- Strong writing skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously under pressure.
- Strong self-care abilities, and the vulnerability to ask for help when needed
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Greet and screen visitors, answer and screen telephone calls for the Congresswoman and District Office staff members, taking messages when appropriate;
- Assist with processing of constituent mail and franked mail;
- Respond to constituent requests for information;
- Administrative and clerical duties involved with managing the front office;
- Oversee the District Office internship program;
- Work with DC staff assistant on letter writing and constituent correspondence
- Manage congressional competitions such as the High School Art & App Competitions
- Handle casework for state inquiries, housing, and local referrals, and assist with federal casework as needed;
- Participate in select outreach efforts such as mobile office hours and the Congresswoman’s Town Halls (these occur throughout the district and in collaboration with other members of the team and select partners);
- Perform other duties as assigned
Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, new Americans, people with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. State and/or district ties are a plus. Bilingual candidates are preferred.
Salary is a minimum of $60,000 – $62,000 and will depend on experience. The benefits include student loan repayment plans and strong health care, dental, vision, and retirement plans. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis. No calls or drop-ins please.