Rep. Jayapal Responds to CBO Report on the GOP Health Care Bill
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, Vice Ranking Member of the House Budget Committee, issued the following statement in response to the report released by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) outlining the devastating impact of the House Republican health care bill:
“The CBO report shows the Republican bill is nothing more than a dangerous ideological wish list that strips 24 million Americans of health care, raises premiums by more than fifteen percent, makes our seniors pay more, and guts Medicaid by almost $1 trillion,” said Rep. Jayapal. “All of this in order to give $600 billion in tax cuts to corporations and the wealthiest amongst us. Americans will pay more for health care and get less coverage. This will be life and death – literally – for millions of Americans. This plan is simply not a plan. Republicans who truly care about their constituents will vote no to ripping apart our health care system and leaving millions of families without insurance.”
According to the CBO report, the House Republican health care bill would:
- Result in 14 million people losing their coverage by 2018. Additionally, 24 million people would lose coverage by 2026.
- Double the number of Americans without health insurance from 28 million to 52 million by 2026.
- Gut Medicaid by almost $1 trillion, leaving low and middle income families with no better alternatives for affordable health care.
- Force older Americans to pay higher premiums – as much as five times more than what others pay for health care. Seniors would effectively be forced to pay an age tax.
- Reduce access to contraception for low-income women in settings where they have few health care options.
Issues: 115th Congress, Health Care